Comes Back Every Year
Hi, my name is Karl Foerster, but you probably know me as reed grass. I am best known for my red copper flumes which carry eye-catching tan seed heads, which add a unique vertical accent and focal point to your garden or landscape. Not only am I tall with highly ornamental fruit, I am able to last all the way through the fall and into the winter - making me a Canadian fan favourite! I require occasional maintenance, and look my best when I am cut back to the ground in late winter before my growth picks up in the spring. I have no soil preferences, I thrive in both dry and moist locations, and I am highly tolerant of urban pollution - you can plant me right in the city!
Karl Foerster Reed Grass
Trusted by Thousands
of Happy Customers
Fast & Free Shipping
on all Orders
Happy Plants, Happy Garden.
Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster'
Karl Foerster Reed Grass
Full Sun (6+ Hours)
Late Fall/Early Spring
Approx. 1-2 times per week
- Hardy and low-maintenance: Karl Foerster Reed Grass is a tough and hardy plant that requires little maintenance. It can tolerate a wide range of soil conditions and is resistant to most pests and diseases.
- Vertical growth habit: This grass grows in a tall and upright habit, making it a great choice for adding height and structure to a garden or landscape. Its slender green leaves and feathery plumes create a graceful and elegant look.
- Year-round interest: In addition to its attractive foliage, Karl Foerster Reed Grass produces lovely plumes in early summer that fade to a warm, wheat colour in the fall and persist through winter. This grass is a great choice for adding visual interest to a garden or landscape throughout the year.
- Watering: Water deeply once a week, or when the top inch of soil feels dry to the touch.
- Maintenance: Watch out for pests and diseases such as aphids, rust, and fungal infections. Treat accordingly.
- Pruning: In season: Cut back the faded flower stems to the base to encourage new growth and prevent the plant from reseeding. End of season: Trim the plant down to about 6 inches from the ground in late winter or early spring to promote new growth.
- (Optional):Fertilize using a balanced fertilizer in spring when new growth appears, following the package instructions. Avoid over-fertilizing, as this can lead to floppy growth.
Planting a trees or plants is easy! First, begin by digging a hole that's twice as wide as the root ball and just as deep. Place the tree or plant in the hole and add some bonemeal fertilizer. Backfill with fresh soil if needed and water thoroughly. Water regularly until roots are established to keep the plant healthy. Enjoy your new tree or plant!
- Great news! We offer FREE delivery on ALL orders with no minimum order value! 🎉🚛
- If you've pre-ordered plants or trees, don't worry! We'll send it as soon as all the items are ready to ship. If you prefer to have items arrive seprately when they are ready to be delivered, just give our team a shout and we'll send it as soon as they become available. 📦💨
- We only sell pre-order products when they're at their absolute best, so you can be sure your new plants will arrive in perfect condition! 🌿👌
- If you're in Ontario, your order will be at your doorstep in just 2-4 business days! If you're in Quebec, expect your order in 3-5 business days. For the rest of Canada, it'll take just a bit longer, with delivery times ranging from 4-8 business days. 🚚🌎
- Questions? Concerns? Don't hesitate to reach out! Our friendly team is always here to help! 😊💬
We offer installation services in the GTA and surrounding areas! Let us take care of installing your new product so you can sit back and relax. Contact us today to learn more about our installation options.
“I was blown away by how quickly my plants arrived - just three days from the time I placed my order.”
“So happy to see that the plants were in perfect condition. I'm very impressed with the quality”
"Excellent customer service - friendly and responsive. Highly recommend!"
Happy plants, happy a
aaaaaa plants, happy garden. Guaranteed.
Worry-free gardening. Our plants thrive or we'll replace them
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.